To all our Telegraph family.
As many of you are aware, our nation has felt the impact of the Chinese Corona Virus (COVID-19). We’ve endured much loss and continue to feel the cost of this pandemic and the shutdown orders. As parts of the country move forward in reopening their respective states, counties and localities we are left here in the dark.
While there is some credit to give Governor Gavin Newsom in his efforts to reopen the state, it falls very short. Any hopes of resuming business are quickly thwarted by the incompetence and cowardice of Mayor Garcetti.
Fact is, there is NO CLEAR REOPEN DATE for barbershops in Los Angeles.
Fact is, as long as this "safer-at-home" mandate continues Telegraph Barber will not survive. We’ve reached a critical point in this shutdown. Every day (going forward) that we are forced to remain closed is a day closer to shuttering the door permanently.
As owner, I have only two choices:
I can remain closed and watch my shop slowly die.
I can defy the orders, reopen and face whatever comes my way.
You can bet I am not going down without a fight! So starting Monday, June 1st Telegraph Barber will reopen to all of our clients. If you’re in need of a cut and have waited too long then we will be here for you!
Of course, we will do our best to mitigate risks. Although we cannot guarantee 100% prevention of the spread of COVID-19, we are taking the steps to promote a safe and clean environment. The following guidelines and policy will be in place for the immediate future:
(1) We are available BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. We require EVERYONE SCHEDULE YOUR APPOINTMENTS ONLINE.
(2) No extra guests are allowed to accompany you. This means, NO KIDS, WIVES, GIRLFRIENDS, BOYFRIENDS, HUSBANDS, etc. It’s just you and you alone.
(3) NO PUBLIC RESTROOM. Sorry. Either handle your business before coming to the shop or wait ‘til you get back home.
(4) We will have a designated hand-washing station. You’ll need to wash your hands before & after sitting in the chair.
(5) Masks must be worn while in the shop. You may be asked to remove your mask while in the chair so we can properly cut your hair. You can put your mask back on once it’s OK to do so. Barbers will be wearing masks at all times while you’re in the chair.
(6) If we learn that you're sick, feeling sick, previously sick or appear sick then you will be asked to leave immediately.
(7) If you are in the "at-risk" group, we will refrain from servicing you until we feel it's safe. Those who are over age-65, have underlying health or respiratory issues are a part of the "at-risk" group. Also, if you are someone who routinely must come in contact with "at-risk" people, we will refrain from servicing you until we feel it's safe.
I want to make something clear. This is not a political statement. This is a statement of survival. This is a statement of trying to do what is right. None of us at Telegraph Barber are pressuring you to come for a haircut. We’re not even asking or begging you. We just want to live out our right to the pursuit of happiness. Perhaps we’ll see you in the shop soon. Maybe not. Either way, be safe and God Bless.
Carlos Torres / Telegraph Barber